Top Looks from PFW

Finally had time this weekend to really hone in on Paris properly, narrow down my favourite looks and generally relive some of the best of S/S 2014. 

Marc J's swan song at Louis Vuitton was clearly a highlight and on top of the spectacle of the show itself,  I really loved the collection. Teaming ornate Victoriana with loose, low-rise denim and biker jackets was the kind of dressing-down I could instantly get on board with. Elsewhere, there were surprises in store as age-old favourites like Isabel Marant and Stella McCartney failed to impress quite as much as usual (blasphemy I know), while the likes of Claire Wright Keller at Chloe and Anthony Vacarello pretty much dictated how I want to dress next summer, albeit in very different ways.   

So here goes. The final leg of the new season highlights as concisely as I can possibly me....


Just when we all thought we knew what we were getting from Phoebe Philo, she took Celine in a totally new direction this season, successfully giving the finger to her reputation for the queen of minimalism. I can't see myself jumping on board with the primary-coloured paint strokes (even if Philo doth say we should) but the fringed hemlines, lace-ups sandals, ethnic jewellery and netting skirts are all takeaways I'm already excited about. 



Loved the African-Asian influences at Givenchy and the finale look on Joan Smalls finished it all off perfectly - the pleated satin coat was pure drama while the flat, 'fugly' sandals kept it real and cool. 



Sweet, simple and a little bit Lolita, I loved this retro-feeling suede look at Vanessa Bruno - can imagine Lux from The Virgin Suicides wearing this for a date with Trip....


Okay, okay - I know I sort-of-dissed Marant in my opening paragraph but lets be honest, there's always a wealth of covetable pieces up for grabs at Isabel Marant... I think it was just those lacy, ruffled bra tops that turned me off. Or indeed the abundance of ruffles full stop. But the simpler, tougher looks that saw those pretty, sheer lace tops beefed up with leather and sporty separates were just as good as ever.



Perhaps my favourite collection of Paris (big statement), Claire Wright Keller really stepped up her game this season with the most perfect summer-in-the-city silhouettes at Chloe, all of which moved in the most easy-breezy elegant way. 



Always offering a lesson in how to do sexy without clingy fabrics and cleavage, Anthony Vaccarello makes a simple shirt, shorts and sandals combo the ultimate come hither look women actually want to wear. Maybe Anja Rubik has something to with that too....




Have a feeling Bermuda boy shorts are going to be something of an obsession next summer and I love these slinky, silk ones at Dries Van Noten. The same goes for the loose, easy separates and ethnic details that immediately caught my eye at Dries. 




My favourite Louis Vuitton look - decadence and showgirl drama finished of with blue denim and leather loafers. A marriage of opposites that worked perfectly. We'll miss you Marc... now just hurry up and tell us who's next LV. 




Beautiful tribal opulence at Valentino - I liked how the warrior princess vibe of so many of the dresses gave an injection of strength to all the feminine detail. 




Nautical gets the Acne treatment... and you all know I like my stripes. Once again with the baggy Bermudas and somehow I get the feeling clumpy Geisha sandals are going to be nest summer's Birkenstock. 



 For me, Stella failed to wow quite as much as normal this season - the cuts of those nightie-esque slips just didn't sit that well with me. But the affirmation of navy for summer and silk suiting was a look I immediately wanted to replicate. On that note, I need to own a matching two-piece suit before too long....



All images via Style.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment